The Biospecimen Management (BSM) Supervisor is responsible for the general supervision of BSM personnel and the daily operations of the BSM Laboratory. The BSM Supervisor may also perform samples receiving, unpacking, processing, recording samples sent for laboratory testing. In addition, the Supervisor will be required to perform quality control and quality assurance procedures while complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements.
The nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written, and verbal communication skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules. The Supervisor must be able to lead and work with a team, as well as work independently.
The Biospecimen Management Supervisor will often be the first point of contact for Biorepository Technician and Associates and will provide guidance while troubleshooting problems. The Supervisor must also act as a liaison between his/her team, Laboratory Associates, Client Services, the Laboratory Manager, Quality, and the Laboratory Director. As such the Biospecimen Management Supervisor must exhibit leadership skills such as good judgment, sound analyses and decision making, the ability to remain professional and composed under pressure, effective interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate across all departments.
The Biospecimen Management Supervisor will also be responsible for scheduling, reviewing, motivating and coaching the BSM staff. The Supervisor will build strong and effective teams, manage projects, implement laboratory goals, refine and/or define processes, perform staff competency assessments, write/edit standard operating procedures (SOPs) and train the team on existing and new procedures.
The BSM Supervisor must demonstrate the ability to analyze issues and make sound and ethical decisions in a timely manner. The Supervisor must be flexible and have the ability to adapt quickly to evolving procedures, policies and workflows.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day supervision of BSM personnel
- Responsible for the operation of the pre-analytical laboratory including receiving, unpacking and processing all incoming clinical specimens.
- Coach and mentor BSMtechnicians and Associates
- Manage the testing and validation of new laboratory equipment and procedures
- Identify process improvement opportunities and present to Director
- Perform, review and document laboratory quality control procedures
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment as needed
- Recruit and train BSM staff
- Create and keep personnel files updated including training documentation and competency assessments
- Represent the BSM Department in cross-functional meetings
- Maintain a productive operational relationship with the IT/LIS departments to communicate ongoing modification requests
- Work closely with the Clinical Operations Supervisors , Alliance Management and/or Client Services Department in developing efficiencies/processes between the functional areas to ensure that SOPs and best practices for each department are met
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to: writing and reviewing employee performance evaluations, SOPs, protocols, clinical trial sample tracking and equipment maintenance forms
- Maintain stringent standards for quality; identify and report any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety
- Manage and lead department projects and goals
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Assist with internal audits and inspection preparation, as needed
- Report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to a Manager or Safety Officer.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field preferred
- At least 4 years of related experience within healthcare or a clinical laboratory preferred
- Previous supervisory or management experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience in biobanking, clinical sample management or biorepositories
- Ability to proactively communicate consistently, clearly, and honestly
- Strong computer skills required
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and logs
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Ability to prioritize tasks and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Ability to analyze and solve basic issues
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Hours and days may vary depending on operational needs;
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary;
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, blood specimens, and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation;
- Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary; and
- Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) may be necessary
Guardant Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Please visit our career page at:http://www.guardanthealth.com/jobs/
To learn more about the information collected when you apply for a position at Guardant Health, Inc. and how it is used, please review ourPrivacy Notice for Job Applicants.