Cole-Parmer is a leading provider of precision equipment and consumables to pharmaceutical, life sciences, environmental, and industrial customers around the world. Our proprietary product lines include peristaltic fluid handling systems, test and measurement devices, water testing equipment and consumables, and a range of laboratory essentials products all critical components in scientific research and production.
Job Title: Inside Sales Representative
Reports To: Sales Manager
Position Location: Vernon Hills, IL; Ocala, FL; Charleston, SC
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
Grows key accounts and reactivates inactive customers within assigned areas through outbound telephone contact. Communicates Cole-Parmer’s value propositions by offering product and services. Works to establish effective business relationships with multiple levels. Identifies new business opportunities with account and actively closes on leads, quotes, etc. Maintains minimum expected call frequencies and keeps information on file.
- Achieves annual sales; understands and implements Cole-Parmer’s systems, contracting, and pricing strategies.
- Builds relationships to promote sales growth of key account through outbound telephone contacts; establishes working relationships with end-users and buyers in order to secure sales.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with multiple customer departments (Purchasing, Engineering, Maintenance, Laboratory and Quality); identifies key players at customers’ organization; understands and meets customers’ needs.
- Probes and identifies customer opportunities that are not readily apparent; offers solutions.
- Is empowered to coordinate efforts with other department (such as marketing, applications, Customer Services, and Credit) to ensure the satisfaction of and bolster the relationship with their key accounts.
- Performs sales support duties on their key account such as entering orders and quotes but has other department available to perform these tasks as needed.
- Works to reactivate accounts with no sales activity within a defined period; identifies biggest potential.
- Understands the account management process; develops strategies and implements plans to grow profitable sales; presents plans at business review meetings.
- Develops new business through researching and understanding the customer’s market (Bio-tech, Clinical, etc.).
- Attends product/vendor/systems meetings and trainings to stay up to date on new product lines and current systems.
- Utilizes supplier catalogs, on-line databases, and other appropriate resources to cross reference products to meet customer order requirements. Makes suggestions for alternative products when items are not readily available.
- Assists customers with buying decisions: researches product, cross-reference, pricing & availability.
- Maintains accurate records and the files necessary for proper management of customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a science related field from an accredited higher learning institution strongly preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Inside/Field Sales or Technical Product experience in related product categories strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Excel and MS office applications is required and strong database experience is desirable.
- Interpersonal skills to build relationships with and to conduct professional and courteous phone conversation with internal and external customers.
- Must be results oriented and self-motivated; strives to achieve targets and goals; is assertive and proactive.
- Excellent technical and analytical skills as well as the ability to learn, to gain sufficient knowledge of product lines to participate in promotions and probe effectively and to analyze data and compile reports as needed. Must be able to assimilate data and draw conclusions.
- Must possess a customer focused mentality to meet and exceed our customer expectations.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple projects concurrently to successful completion, meet deadlines, and follow-up in a timely manner through excellent organizational, planning, prioritization and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to work independently and be able to work in a team atmosphere.
- Strong selling and negotiation skills and be confident and poised to independently negotiate and manage a relationship with various customers as well as execute key sales strategies.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, efficiently works under pressures, within deadlines or other time essential constraints.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to clearly and concisely communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Strong work ethic and an ability to excel within a rapidly changing and growing organization.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all of the duties and responsibilities associated with it.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.