Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Are the Oscars your Super Bowl? Do you follow Twitter trends like the stock market? Did you mark your calendar months in advance for Harry and Meghan’s royal wedding? USA TODAY is looking for a Social Media Editor who lives and breathes entertainment, pop culture and lifestyle to work in a fast-paced, 24/7 news environment.
The ideal candidate will have strong news judgment, passion for and knowledge of entertainment/pop culture and have prior digital news experience. The editor will be part of USA TODAY’s Life, Entertainment & Travel team, working primarily on managing and posting to USA TODAY Life’s social media accounts. This person will collaborate with the Life team’s writers and editors on everything from daily news to special projects and will assist with social media strategy and promotion. We're looking for an editor who can react quickly to breaking news and won’t hesitate to jump in to write stories on a regular basis. USA TODAY recognizes and appreciates the benefits of diversity in the workplace. EOE.
- Handling all duties associated with the day-to-day publishing of USA TODAY’s content off-platform, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more
- Collaborating with the Life team on promotion of daily news, features, special projects and awards season content
- Coordinating with audience editors to ensure streamlined social publishing
- Using analytics to make informed social media decisions
- Assisting in development and implementation of a social media strategy to drive followers, engagement, and conversation
- Writing breaking or in-the-moment trending news
- Creating engaging content for social platforms
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or any other subject in a liberal arts field from an accredited institution
- Experience working with social media, preferably with branded accounts for a daily news organization
- Excellent news judgement
- High-quality writing skills and excellent copy-editing skills
- An understanding of search engine optimization
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Strong eye for emerging trends
- Experience covering awards season
- Proficient with content management systems and analytics tools
- Willing to work a range of hours, including early mornings, nights and weekends
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve written, produced, or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.