About Frontline Wildfire Defense
Frontline’s mission is to protect homes and lives from wildfire.
Our remotely activated wildfire defense system allows homeowners to evacuate safely and protect their homes. Our network of systems make not just single homes, but communities more wildfire resilient.
The problem we face is not wildfires, but rather wildfire catastrophes that can be avoided or mitigated. This problem is complex due to a convergence of factors – how and where we build, climate change, poor utility infrastructure, excessive fuel build up, and so on.
The societal and economic consequences of wildfire catastrophes are massive and unsustainable: hundreds of lives were lost and over $50 billion in losses over the last five years in California alone. But there is a lot we can do to reduce this risk and protect our communities.
Our team is motivated by these challenges. We’re also committed to giving our customers the tools to protect their families and peace of mind to live in wildfire prone areas.
We hope you’ll join us on this mission!
About this Opportunity
Frontline Wildfire Defense is hiring an IoT Software Architect/Engineer to develop and build features to our growing network of connected wildfire protection devices. In this role you’ll be working on a cross-functional team and making impactful decisions in protecting homes and businesses from wildfire.
At Frontline, our goals are to provide homeowners with the protection and peace of mind to live safely within wildfire adapted communities and provide firefighters with a safe working environment. To do so, we are enabling homeowners and businesses with remote fire protection tools to safely protect their homes, families, and businesses without the need to put firefighters in hazardous wildfire scenarios. We are looking for a talented architect and engineer to help us build the Frontline network.
In this role you will be a leader in backend and front end engineering, contributing to design, architecture, and implementation of product, including: customer, company, and installer front end interfaces; as well as backend company IoT platform. You will have deep technical skills, be a self-starter, emphasize detail and quality, and be passionate about having a large impact on a small team revving up on its next wave of growth.Responsibilities
- Drive the ideation and architecture of network and devices.
- Design and implement end-to-end features in a microservice architecture to improve consumer facing interface and build toward state-of-the-art recommendation and alert features.
- Design and implement company and installer facing interface.
- Collaborate with hardware team and network providers to enhance remote activation protocols, monitoring capabilities, and fail-safes.
- Develop a backend infrastructure by incorporating networking to fully realize a world class IoT platform.
- Develop Frontline’s event driven architecture to enable deeper integrations with external third party systems.
- Work within high performing office and field teams while managing project priorities, employees, subcontractors, deadlines and deliverables.
Requirements and Skills
- Solid programming fundamentals: common design patterns, data structures, object-oriented principles utilizing JVM languages
- Proficient in system design, concurrency, and architecture (particularly with service-oriented architectures, performance, distributed systems, and scalability) with attention to cybersecurity details
- RESTful or gRPC API design
- Basic front end development of a web-based SaaS application, UX/UI experience
- Interest in reactive & functional programming, and unit & functional automated testing
- Relational, NoSQL, and time series database experience (Postgres, MySQL or DynanmoDB preferred)
- S3 familiarity
- Ability to work in a fast paced agile development
- Familiarity with devops and Amazon Web Services, including Lambda/RDS/EC2 and CI/CD pipelines
- Highly proficient in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Experience with continuous deployment, test automation, and test-driven development practices (JUnit and/or TestNG)
- Your code is clear, testable and maintainable
- Compensation based on experience and within early stage company structures.
A Qualified Candidate
- Has had 4 years of experience in network and/or full stack development
- Has the ability to work flexible hours to meet customer and prospect needs
- Is willing to work remotely and to travel
- Has strong analytical and organizational skills
- Has solid leadership qualities with concrete examples of initiative
- Will submit a cover letter that explains why you are specifically interested in Frontline and a good fit for the role
- Will submit a resume that includes your relevant professional experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Fully Remote
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply