Seeking progressive mechanical designer or engineer with 4+ years post-academic
building engineering experience to help grow and support our services in either the
Berkeley, California or Jackson, Wyoming offices. You understand how buildings and
systems are put together and thrive on educating colleagues about how passive design
improves occupant comfort and reduces heating and cooling loads. You have
demonstrated creativity and technical excellence in providing mechanical and plumbing
design for a variety of building types. You are also skilled with project management,
design review and construction administration tasks.
Ideally, this position will be filled at the Manager or Senior staff level.
Why Join Beyond Efficiency?
We empower people to create enduring human-centered buildings.
Beyond Efficiency is a highly respected consulting team of progressive engineers and
architects with offices in Berkeley, California and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We provide
energy modeling, engineering and green building services for commercial, educational,
multifamily and single-family residential projects throughout the western U.S. We also
provide policy development, training, and research services. Our broad client base
includes small architecture firms, world-renowned universities, market-rate and
affordable housing developers, and public agencies.
We consider our key role as "client advocate" to help ensure a client's project
objectives are achieved. We do this by asking insightful questions at project initiation to
establish clear, actionable goals and performance requirements, and then filling
knowledge and skills gaps that often exist in project teams. Our educational
philosophy, holistic understanding of buildings, and technical expertise give teams
confidence to make better decisions and create buildings that improve people’s lives.
Beyond Efficiency offers a relaxed and flexible work environment on the edge of
Berkeley's 4th Street shopping district or the heart of beautiful downtown Jackson Hole.
We have a liberal vacation policy paired with moderate billable hour requirements,
competitive salaries, generous professional development allowances, 100% health
insurance coverage, commuter benefits, 401(k) retirement plan with employer
matching, and unlimited opportunities to carve your future and make a difference.
Learn more about us, our values and our approach to our work.
1. Contribute to company’s establishment of full-service professional mechanical
and plumbing design services for residential and non-residential projects to
expand on company’s current in-house capabilities
2. Recommend and implement strategies for low load, high performance
mechanical and plumbing systems for residential and non-residential projects;
maintain leading-edge knowledge of best practices by influential engineers and
bring appropriate opportunities to projects
3. Evaluate, design, and develop a diverse variety of systems and technologies
including heat recovery, mixed-mode ventilation, hydronic, VRF, solar thermal,
ground source/geothermal, plumbing and fire protection, and controls
4. Develop outline specifications, Basis of Design (BOD), and full construction
documents for HVAC and plumbing systems
5. Interpret and apply code and program requirements for California’s Title 24
and CALGreen, IECC, building codes, LEED, WELL, CHPS, Living Building
Challenge, Passive House and other relevant standards
6. Review plans, documentation, and contractor submittals for compliance with
requirements; provide peer review of plans developed by other engineers
7. Provide construction administration (CA) services: complete field visits to review
progress, verify compliance with goals, and solve field issues
8. Prepare logically organized, technically accurate, and clearly presented emails,
reports, plans and specifications
9. Coordinate and collaborate with clients and project teams to achieve goals as
set out in Owner's Project Requirements (OPR) document
10. Be an effective project manager, acting as main point of contact for clients,
tracking schedules and deliverables, and producing or delegating as needed to
get the work done
11. Leverage other team members' expertise or knowledge when needed;
understand when to ask for help
12. Outline work plans prior to starting work, maintain logically organized and
labeled files, and adequately document decisions or activities
13. Provide regular status updates or reports in web-based project tracking system
and review progress with team
14. Understand contracted work scopes, work within budgets and meet billable
15. Establish thought leadership by writing blog posts, being active in outside
organizations, and educating and engaging with the greater community
16. Do what needs to be done that may fall outside your formalized job roles
1. Mechanical engineering degree or equivalent education or experience, P.E.
2. Four years relevant post-academic work experience
3. Commitment to professional excellence and high performance design
demonstrated through continual learning, active involvement in organizations,
and regular participation in conferences or events
4. Self-starter with a can-do and “get things done” attitude
5. Technical aptitude with ability to quickly learn and integrate new concepts and
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, logically
presented and appropriately catered to recipients)
7. Critical thinker with innate ability to challenge assumptions, ask the right
questions, and solve problems
8. Strong judgment with understanding of best way to proceed in challenging
9. Strong organizational and project management skills
10. High integrity, doing the right thing even when it's hard
11. High initiative, always looking to improve things
How to Apply
Beyond Efficiency is committed to the principle of diversity in our workspace. We
believe that diverse perspectives add value to our processes and make us better able to
empathize with and serve our clients, leading the way towards a more sustainable and
equitable future. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from qualified
people of all cultural and economic backgrounds, faiths, gender identities and sexual
To apply for this opportunity, please apply directly through the jobs page on our
website at http://beyondefficiency.us/jobs. Direct your cover letter to Katy Hollbacher.
Beyond Efficiency will review applications and invite selected candidates for interviews
on a rolling basis.