At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
At Plenty, we are building out a team of scientists and engineers to tackle problems that reimagine the way food is grown. In this role, you will work closely with plant scientists, the internal engineering team and outside integrators to drive research space controls architecture, help commission and maintain those spaces, and integrate new devices into research spaces.
What You'll Do
- Refine control system architecture for plant science use
- Refine best practices, standards, and HMI layouts to be followed for research environments and facilities
- Work with external integrators to ensure correct implementation of architecture and standards
- Work with Plant Scientists to understand custom experiment requirements and adjust control systems as necessary
- Provide input on automation, mechanical, and electrical system designs
- Work with the rest of the Plant Science and Computer Science team to understand and implement data collection and experiment traceability requirements
- Interface equipment with internal software tools
- Help ensure smooth system commissioning, maintain after commissioning and quickly troubleshoot problems as they arise
- Work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
What We're Looking For
- Experience programming on multiple different PLC controller platforms (Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, and Siemens).
- Strong knowledge of industrial communications protocols (Modbus, BACnet, and OPC-UA).
- Experience with Vision integration
- Experience with electrical and circuit design, and integrating with PLCs
- Experience designing clear and easy to use HMIs, at the machine and line level (Ignition, Wonderware, and FactoryTalk).
- Experience with integrating PLC controllers with supervisory systems using Python or SQL programming.
- Ability to work closely with mechanical engineers and clearly explain controls concepts
- Extensive experience with equipment safety systems
- Strong understanding of manufacturing process flow
- Strong project and vendor management skills
- Experience designing and implementing control architectures from the ground up
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.