ABOUT SHERIDAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is a progressive, state-of-the-art facility nestled beneath the Big Horn Mountains in beautiful Northeast Wyoming. Founded over 100 years ago, Sheridan Memorial is licensed for 88 beds with over 60 physicians who provide primary medical care and specialty care in more than 15 areas. We are proud of our more than 700 employees who provide personalized, patient-centered care in a healing environment. When people think of excellent healthcare, they think of Sheridan.
Is responsible for overseeing the accounting and accounts payable functions for the Health System. It is the vision of the Finance/Accounting department to create and infrastructure that supports the dissemination of real time financial data to management that facilitates the decision-making process that allows the organization to reach its financial objectives. Is also responsible for the assembly of financial information in accordance with GASB financial standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervisory duties and responsibilities include: a) writes and conducts annual performance appraisals and ensures regular feedback, coaching, and communication with group; b) ensures high level of performance standards and achievement to meet organization needs and business goals; c) provides development opportunities for staff to broaden and enhance skills and abilities; d) administers organization policies and procedures; 3) ensures compliance with safety policies and good housekeeping; f) manages initial training of new employees and ongoing training as required; and g) promotes an environment that fosters team work and commitment to satisfy customer requirements.
- Understands how to identify underlying problems that impact to the Financial Health of the organization and can work with management across departments to develop and implement solutions. This may include but not limited to educational sessions, work flow evaluation, policy and process development for various departments.
- Develop the department’s operational plan and direct/support staff in execution of departmental goals.
- Initiates policy and procedure changes for all areas of the organization and ensures that internal controls are in balance to safe guard the assets of the organization.
- Directs and participates in the development of accounting and internal control policies and systems.
- Provides advice and assistance to department heads and managers in analyzing and interpreting financial data and reports and in presenting that information for their departments.
- Defines and communicates new/revised position responsibilities and/or reporting relationships and determines necessary staffing changes.
- Facilitates the efficient conduct of external audits, examinations and related financial projects.
- Ensures preparation of monthly financial statements and accuracy of these statements.
- Regularly examines alternative methods of providing required accounting services in order to reduce departmental and Hospital operating costs.
- Promotes good staffing practices by maximizing the utilization of human resources; forecasts and anticipates the personnel needs of the department with regard to fluctuations in the projected workload; holds staffing at a functional minimum.
- Directs end participates in the installation and maintenance of all computer software, which impacts the department. Acts as a resource person for each of those software applications. Stays current on any software/hardware issues that might impact the department.
- Participates in the Finance Committee and other committees and task forces as assigned by CFO or Director.
- Insures that employee payroll functions are completed and insures that all required Federal regulatory as well as employee specific requirements are met, i.e. deductions, etc. and oversee the Payroll Accountant.
- Directs the Accounts Payable functions for the hospital, insuring timely and accurate processing of vouchers for services/products purchased.
- Directs the cash receipts/cashier functions for the hospital, insuring patient/third party payments are processed timely and accurately posted to all patient accounts.
- Direct the functions of the Accounting department of all other financial functions through the Accounting Supervisor.
- Consistently completes all assignments in a timely manner, thorough and appropriately detailed.
- Demonstrates effectiveness in pulling together all the necessary information needed to compare revenue and expenses and determine the facility’s actual financial position.
- Effectively maintains all required records for the department; demonstrates good organizational skills.
- Monitors the implementation of checks and balances, which continually evaluate accounting practices, reporting procedures and record keeping.
- Participate and work on all other projects as assigned by CFO.
LEADERSHIP AND HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Demonstrates consistent leadership performance and behavior by actively being engaged in making SMH/BHHN a five-star provider of quality care by being a positive force within the organization and actively promoting teamwork and harmony.
- Delegates effectively and supervises follow-through. Persuasive, fair, impartial, sets high standards, and ensures clear focus and direction.
- Achieves desired results with support, confidence and integrity.
- Regularly recognizes achievements of others. Leads others to success, supporting individual and team accomplishments.
Supervisory duties and responsibilities include:
- Writes and conducts annual performance appraisals and ensures regular ongoing feedback, coaching, and communication with staff.
- Ensures high level of performance standards and achievement to meet organization needs and business goals.
- Provides development opportunities for staff to broaden and enhance skills and abilities.
- Administers organization policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with safety policies and good housekeeping.
- Manages initial training of new employees and ongoing training as required.
- Promotes an environment that fosters team work and commitment to satisfy customer requirements.
Education / Experience / License and Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration, required.
- CPA preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience, preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience, preferred.
- Highly developed organizational skills.
- Recent experience in the hospital field.
- Basic computer knowledge
- Proficient in the use of Lean management practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication; proficient use of English language.
- Exercises a high degree of initiative, judgment, and discretion.
- Demonstrates solid abilities to analyze situations accurately and taking effective action.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Proficient in organizing work, delegating and achieving goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates high level of judgment and discretion in developing, interpreting, and implementing policies and procedures.
- Works effectively with physicians, other medical staff, and external agencies. Demonstrates excellent customer relations skills.
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Specific demands not listed: Possible exposure to blood and or body fluids / infectious disease / hazardous waste requiring the use of Personal Protective Equipment. Exposure to odorous chemicals / specimens and Latex products.
Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening is required.