ABOUT SHERIDAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is a progressive, state-of-the-art facility nestled beneath the Big Horn Mountains in beautiful Northeast Wyoming. Founded over 100 years ago, Sheridan Memorial is licensed for 88 beds with over 60 physicians who provide primary medical care and specialty care in more than 15 areas. We are proud of our more than 700 employees who provide personalized, patient-centered care in a healing environment. When people think of excellent healthcare, they think of Sheridan.
Service excellence and a culture of kindness are priorities for Sheridan Memorial Hospital. The Patient Financial Advocate is responsible for supporting Sheridan Memorial Hospital’s Revenue Cycle Team through providing accurate and compassionate counseling to the patient regarding insurance benefits, recommends alternative sources of payment and financial assistance while providing a 5-star experience so the patient and provider can focus on healthcare.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Counsels patients regarding insurance benefits and recommends alternative sources of payment and financial assistance by explaining responsibilities for services received, payment options and collections procedures to patients and parties responsible for payment.
- Demonstrates the ability to assertively pursue necessary information and to function independently to secure financial resolution on accounts.
- Contacts insurance carriers or other sources, including but not limited to pharmaceutical companies and pharmacies and acts as an advocate for the patient.
- Initiates process for collecting prepays due at time of service, performs follow-up to insure maximum collection is achieved.
- Responsible for financially clearing patients within Sheridan Memorial Hospital and Big Horn Health Network to obtain cash payment or determine eligibility for various government programs.
- Maintains knowledge of revenue cycle operations, third party reimbursement, local/state/federal regulations and medical terminology.
- Conducts all activities with knowledge and understanding of Sheridan Memorial Hospital's mission and values, regulatory compliance requirements, payer requirements, HIPAA privacy and security requirements, the overall revenue cycle procedures and the hospital's policies.
- Ability to educate patient on financial obligations not limited to insurance co-pays, deductibles, co-insurances, and out of pocket expenses for point of service collections.
- Helps to maintain a professional atmosphere for patients, family members and staff.
Education / Experience / License and Certifications
- Associate degree or equivalent experience, required.
- Knowledge of CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-10 codes, preferred.
- Minimum of six months' previous healthcare registration, billing and collections, financial counseling, and/or customer service experience, preferred.
- Certification may be required as regulatory requirements are in place.
- Knowledge of medical insurances, EMTALA regulations, hospital billing and collection processes, preferred.
- Department Specific Education / Experience / License and Certifications
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and communicate proficiently in English.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from providers, clinical staff, payors, and patients.
- Reasoning Abilities
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or scheduled form.
- Computer Skills
- Proficient with MS Office Suite including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Proficient with the EMR system.
- Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks with many interruptions.
- Competently explains financial options and secures payment and/or payment plan from patients and/or guarantors Ability to manage a fast pace environment.
- Ability to manage multiple phone calls at once.
- Ability to solve conflict.
- Must possess excellent time management and organization skills with attention to detail.
- Demonstrates critical thinking, creativity, and problem solving.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to write clearly and informatively.
- Ability to cope with stressful situations and maintain a calm and professional demeanor.
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Specific demands not listed: Possible exposure to blood and or body fluids / infectious disease / hazardous waste requiring the use of Personal Protective Equipment. Exposure to odorous chemicals / specimens and Latex products.
Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening is required.