- Must have Standard or Substitute Teaching Permit through the Wyoming PTSB
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent
JOB GOAL: To instruct students and facilitate their learning in the absence of the regular teacher. Substitute teachers shall create a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; establish effective rapport with students; motivate students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for education in accordance with each student’s ability; and establish good relationships with parents and other staff members.
1. Reviews substitute plans and schedules to be followed during the teaching day as provided by the absent teacher, principal or assigned mentor. Collaborates with other professionals to implement instruction and related activities.
2. Maintains established routines and procedures of the school and the classroom, as assigned. Ensures the classroom and/or instructional environment is healthy, safe, and conducive to learning.
3. Provides effective classroom/student management, clear instruction and implement lesson plans, assignments, assessments, and other instructional materials as outlined in the substitute teacher’s plan. May be required to develop lesson plans and assess student achievement in long term assignments.
4. Assumes responsibility for overseeing student behavior in assigned classroom, monitors student behavior in non-instructional areas as assigned, and intervenes to control and modify disruptive behavior as appropriate.
5. Supports a school culture of high academic and behavioral standards which create a supportive and engaging learning environment.
6. Interacts effectively with students, co-workers, and parents.
7. Carries out non-instructional duties as assigned and/or as needed.
8. Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and non-discrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board policies and the professional standards.
- Certified subsitutes are automatically added to the substitute paraprofessional pool, allowing for the greatest number of work days possible. However, certified substitutes may opt out of the paraprofessional pool by notifying Human Resources, in writing, should they wish to be removed from that substitute pool.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is on an as needed basis.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s Policy on Staff Evaluations.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. Sheridan County School District No. 2 actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.