Welcome to Sweetgrass at Thunderbasin – an outdoor enthusiast’s dream come true. We combine the best upland bird hunting experience available with never before seen five-star hospitality in a rustic yet well-appointed ranch setting.
We are now hiring a Back-of-House Pastry Cook for our 2023 Summer/Fall season. The ideal candidate will possess experience in most of the following areas:
- Pastry and dessert preparation, including cakes, pastries, tarts, and plated desserts
- Managing pastry inventory, including ordering ingredients, managing supplies, and minimizing waste
- Strong attention to detail, ensuring that each dessert is presented beautifully and accurately reflects the menu description
- Safety and sanitation protocols
- Back-of-house kitchen management a plus
The Sweetgrass 2023 season is from August 14 through November 20, 2023 (actual release date may vary).
Compensation is contract-based and negotiated pending on your experience. Average wages paid are $800-$1,200/week based on a 14 week stay. In addition to standard wages, gratuities are paid monthly and related to performance. Bonuses starting at $2,500 will be paid to individuals that remain onsite through the release date. Employees are paid bi-monthly (15th and last-of-month) via direct deposit. You will be a contract employee and 1099’s will be issued in January 2024.
The Back-of-House Pastry Cook will receive:
- Full Room & Board - lodging and chef-prepared meals for the duration of the stay. We offer bunk-house style group-lodging with shared bathrooms and kitchen spaces for all employees
- Partial uniforms - we will provide chef coats, aprons, hats, and name tags. You will be responsible for black pants, black slip-resistant shoes, and personal attire for free days. Cowboy boots and trail shoes are highly encouraged
- Full training and tours of the ranch - this includes one full week of training upon arrival before the first hunting groups arrive
- CPR, First Aid, and AED training is required and all provided or reimbursed
- Food Handlers / ServeSafe certifications are required and will be reimbursed
- Additional activities and events such as ATV rides, horseback riding, opportunities on the sporting ranges, weekly group BBQs, end of season parties, and many other fun group activities
Sweetgrass Ranch, comprising 6,000 acres of the Western Black Hills, is located 45 miles Northeast of Gillette, Wyoming, and is accessible by car, shuttle, and commercial or private aircraft. It's surrounded by 40,000 acres of national and state forest service land. The Sweetgrass compound centers around a newly renovated 4,000 sq. ft. Rendezvous event center with an 1800s-era antique bar, retail store, and commercial kitchen. Also on the property are accommodations in 21 beautifully-appointed private rooms, a 7,800 sq. ft. Lodge, 5 cabins, a 26,000 sq. ft. equestrian facility, greenhouse, culinary garden, coop, and apiary. The Covey Conference Center with state of the art meeting facilities, a dining room and wine cellar will open in the Summer of 2023.
For our guests, each day offers varied terrain and a one-of-a-kind wing shooting experience in three distinct hunting areas with national park-like scenery. We also offer guided horse trail rides, sporting clay shoots, ATV/Ranger tours, archery and gun ranges, and of course, exceptional cuisine prepared by our culinary team.
The Back-of-House Pastry Chef/Cook will be quartered in the Sweetgrass Bunkhouse which is located in the expansive equestrian arena. There are four bunk rooms - each with four full size bunks, two full bathrooms, a living room/kitchen. Rooming assignments will be made on the preferences of the staff hired for the season. Parking is located onsite, and all utilities, cable, and WiFi are provided.
If you have your own RV, there are three designated sites available and reservation confirmation will be included in employment contracts. There is 50-amp service available at each site and a shared water connection. Note There is no sewer dump at the RV parking pads - the sewer dump is about 100-feet from the parking pads, so you will need to move your rig to dump or provide your portable tote tank. RVs must be equipped to handle below freezing temperatures. It WILL get below freezing with potentially many inches of snow in the last weeks of the season!
Unfortunately, pets are not allowed on Sweetgrass Ranch unless you are housed in your own self-contained RV. Due to the nature of the working ranch, we cannot guarantee the safety of any pets.
Cell phone service is non-existent on the ranch. We suggest you activate WiFi calling if it is important to remain connected during your time at Sweetgrass. Long-range radios are provided for “in the field” activations.
As mentioned above, First Aid and CPR Certifications are required and can be scheduled for on-line and/or in-person classes through the American Red Cross. Codes will be provided to register and cover the cost of this training.
Serve-safe certification or similar is required. Certifications must be submitted a month prior to on-site activation. If you do not have a certification, it can be scheduled online through various Wyoming-approved entities and is reimbursed at the end of the season.
To apply for the Back-of-House Pastry Cook position, please remit your resume and cover letter.